HEY YOU! Happy Thursday! Grab your coffee, tea, or wine and let’s get started. Today, I am drinking Goji-Jasmin Blossom. It is an Oolong tea from China. To be honest, I am also eating my third gingerbread cookie today… it isn’t even noon. Yesterday, I did my yearly tradition of making gingerbread cookies and delivering them to some of my friends around the city. It always makes me smile to share my baking with the people I love, and my gingerbread cookies are my favourite. I made a double batch because I had so many deliveries this year, so here is a well-anticipated recipe.
Ingredients: (30 cookies, depending on the size of your cutter)
- ½ cup of butter softened
- ½ cup of margarine softened
- 1 ½ cup of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Soften your butter and margarine if not already softened.
- Lightly mix the butter, margarine, and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. (Everything will be mixed in this bowl)
- Add the egg, vanilla, and molasses, and mix until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Mix until well mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly flour your surface, and roll the dough out to ¼ inch thick (I sometimes like to make them thicker, but the time will change if you do so.)
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the shape of your desired gingerbread cookie. (I also used a stamp. This made icing them easier because I am not very artistic)
- Place cookies 1’’ apart of a cookie sheet (either grease or use parchment paper)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown on the edge.
For Royal Icing:
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 2 egg whites (whipped)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice, and mix really well.
- Put into a piping/ icing bag, and begin icing.
I hope you all enjoy my favourite gingerbread cookies and have a wonderful season leading up to the holiday season.