Hey You! Happy Monday! Grab your coffee, tea, or wine and let’s get started! Today, I am drinking a hot Carmel Shortbread Tea. How are you doing? Many people experience seasonal depression, and others can feel off coming into the cold and dark season. The weather is cold, and our bodies are ready for hibernation. I feel like curling up on the couch with any hot drink and watch movies under fluffy blankets. As much as I enjoy being cozy, I think this is the best time of the year to find yourself and grow. Here are seven great tips for working on yourself over the winter.
- Develop a Morning Routine: I find nothing more mentally satisfying than developing a motivating routine. A positive morning routine allows you to start your day with the best mindset. It also allows you to feel accomplished before your day even begins. To me, nothing is better than starting the day off as positive as possible. I like to include completing one task I don’t like (e.g., chores, workouts) and completing one task I love (e.g., reading, writing, taking a moment for myself); this way, I accomplish something I don’t want to do and something I do want to do.
- Develop a Night Routine: As important as a morning routine is, a night routine is just as or even more critical. A night routine allows for a peaceful rest to ensure you can have a fresh start to the next day. I usually keep my night routine very simple and relaxing. I also try to accomplish things during my night routine, but these include things I want to achieve for my enjoyment (e.g., researching something that interests me; read a fun book in the bath).
- Find Your Spark: Everyone has that one thing that they are passionate about; for me, this includes reading, writing, travelling, and so many more things. The spark can involve paying attention to the things that make you happy. Why do they make you happy, and how can you incorporate it into your daily life? It is essential to do something that makes you happy because it will allow you to live a more positive and fulfilling life.
- Remove the Negative Thoughts: Many negative thoughts are figments of your imagination. They only exist because you allow them or even want them to exist. Of course, I am not speaking about mental illness. I went for many years with negative thoughts strolling through my mind. Finally, I decided that I was going to be happy, and it worked.
- Learn to Say “NO”: This one can be challenging to do. When someone you care about asks you to do something, it isn’t always easy to say “NO.” I can’t count the number of times that I have gone to a party, a dinner date, or other social activities, and I just wanted to stay at home or had other things to do. Although everyone may be your priority in your life, you still need to develop a relationship with yourself and what you want to do. It is essential not always over to do yourself for everyone’s expectations.
Self-improvement is always super important. I always strive to be the best possible, including mentally, spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally. I hope you all have a wonderful week and try out some of these excellent ways to improve your lifestyle. If you have already tried them, message us and let us know your experience.
Photo from Nicole Pearce on Unsplash